Slide 2 of 67
- Shear walls are vertical elements of the horizontal force resisting system.
- The figure shows a typical shear wall.
- Shear walls are typically wood frame stud walls covered with a structural sheathing material like plywood.
- Shear walls have four parts:
- Framing members
- The length of a shear wall is determined by the location of the hold-downs
- When the sheathing is properly fastened to the stud wall framing, the shear wall can resist forces directed along the length of the wall. When designed and constructed properly, shear walls will have the strength and stiffness to resist the horizontal forces.